How We Are Spending the Summer Before Kindergarten

5.21.2012

Ahhhhhh.... Summer!!  Love, love, love it!  But surprisingly, it is not T's favorite season!  He loves winter.  I am sure I loved Winter at one point too, but my old bones would rather stay bundled up inside nowadays!



Summer School Plans


We started our school year in the beginning of August and have completed 34 weeks of unit studies-- combinations of FIAR and ones I put together myself.  Crazy, crazy.  With 34 weeks of school under our belt, we are still short of our State's minimum school year by 6 days.  The great thing about homeschooling is that you don't necessarily have to stop schooling just because the local school year has ended!  Or do it the way they do...  And so that is our plan, to keep on keepin' on!  Albeit, it will be much different.  So after "summer" school, we'll have reached our State's requirement and then some....  We'll start his 5K year in the beginning of August.

When I posted our row on The Salamander Room, I mentioned that our daily schedule was up in the air.  And it still is...   I know what I want us to do, it is just a matter of how and when.  I am not sure yet if he will be partaking in activities through a park district, and if so.... that changes our days a little bit. 

So, here is what I am planning on doing this summer:

Daily Summer Activities Calendar-- from Fun in First.  This is such a great idea!  Each day of the week is an activity to complete; for example, "find an object around your house that starts with each letter," "count by 2's, 5's, 10's to 100" and "make a list of as many animals as you can."  Some things T will definitely need my help with, but other's he'll be able to do on his own.

Poetry Pack-- from Preschool Powol Packets.  Using "Where the Sidewalk Ends," the Poetry Pack includes an activity and writing project for 10 poems from the book.  To make it last all summer, we'd do one poem a week.

Explode the Code 1 1/2-- T has been working on this book since January and we'll continue to do at least one page a day to reinforce phonics and reading skills.

Life of Fred: Butterflies-- We checked out Life of Fred: Apples after we finished Math U See- Primer back in December, and T really enjoyed the stories enough to request the next book.  We'll also do simple math drills of 5-10 addition/ subtraction problems throughout the week.

State Study-- I had lofty goals to incorporate this into our 4K year, and just had too much on our plate with FIAR, math, and phonics that I let it slide.  Confessions of a Homeschooler made a Road Trip USA Geography Curriculum that I may look into, or I may just come up with one myself by using Crayola's State coloring pages, books, and maps.  We'll see!! 

And I may or may not pull our All About Spelling program and begin from the beginning....

We'll also play outside, go to the library, explore "bunny trail" topics, go on "field trips," and whatever else!! 

Sounds like a busier summer than I planned!  But with the exception of the State Study, everything else has been put together for me (thank goodness), nor will we do everything every day!!

What are your summer plans???