Tyler really enjoyed this book and I enjoyed getting to cuddle up and read it to him. With the exception of reading before nap time, he is not much of a cuddler (is that a word?!) during our Five in a Row readings; I think because he liked the book he was more apt to cuddle with me. More often than not, he sits on one of his ride on cars. I love snuggle time with him, though! My little boy is growing up....
We "rowed" another book by Virginia Lee Burton earlier in this school year; we read "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel." Both books are full of charm; it's a no wonder both are considered classics. Katy and The Big Snow is about a hard working red tractor who "becomes a heroine as she finally gets a chance to work and fulfill her responsibilities" (summary from FIAR manual).
- Using Beginning Geography, Tyler learned the points of the compass. We have talked about cardinal directions before, so it was a bit of a review, too.
- Completed a Road Signs lapbook page from Homeschool Share.
- Tyler is one page away from finishing up Explode the Code book 1 and I am just so proud of him! ETC combined with All About Spelling, really helped him gain confidence in blending his sounds together to read! I picked up a Little Critters "Play Ball" early readers book and he read most of it without my help! Finding beginning readers is tough! They are either too easy and/or a little bit too wordy and over-whelm him.
- We revisited Personification; I gathered a bunch of toys and had Tyler sort them into two piles: objects that showed some type of human characteristic and not-personified. Afterwards he placed eye stickers on a bunch of his toys and we made up stories together! He is such an animated story-teller, usually using actions rather than words to describe/ show something!
- Counted by 5's Afterwards, Tyler had fun rolling his cars in the snow but unfortunately they all got "stuck" just like in the story-- but we couldn't find our Katy to help them out, so they just stayed there! I left Tyler to feed Abby, but loved hearing him play with his cars.
- Made a "How Many Inches" worksheet for Tyler to complete:
- I found a website full of Kindergarten Math activities based on Ohio standards. Tyler played "Measure with Paperclips," "Measure with Inches," "Which Tool to Measure With," and "Math Lingo"; after one of the measurement activities, you could "set off" fireworks and another you could build your own house. Definitely will be checking this site more more ideas!
Five feet of snow is a lot!!
- Cut and paste Rainbow City activity: a mix of St. Patrick's Day and big city life : )
- Snowman Puzzle: I cut a snowman into strips that Tyler had to piece back together. Afterwards, I asked Tyler if he wanted to add a couple of buttons, and a couple turned into a snowman COVERED in buttons!
- Well, I was hoping for one last snowfall... and it didn't come, so we just read a couple of books about snow.
For more ideas and inspiration check out:
All of a Kind Family
Katy and The Big Snow Measurement Activity @ Too Many B's
I usually have our next book somewhat planned and I have nothing yet! I am thinking we will row "Clown of God" by Tomie de Paola to work in the rainbow/ St. Patrick's Day theme.... stay tuned!